Discussion in 'Modifications and Tweaks' started by Marvey, Dec 6, 2016.
Ah, it was just nervosa!
Thank you for clarifying.
So it turns out a had some Dynamat in my garage after all from my days of car stereo shenanigans. I don't miss working with this stuff. :\
Anyway, picked up some Creatology foam this morning and went to work. To make dealing with the Dynamat easier I also picked up a set of shears for thick fabric. I attached the Creatology foam to the Dynamat and cut a sheet about the size of letter size paper. To keep the shears clean I used some WD40 sprayed on a paper towel, wiped the the blades clean, and cleaned any excess. I then cut a strip the size of a 12" ruler and made the final cuts from that strip.
At first I was only going to try Dynamat without modifying the spider. Once I had things taken apart the spider went as well. The strips and foam we're applied per instructions. Overall a fairly trivial mod as long as you reference the the instructions and available YouTube videos.
Overall I'm pleasantly surprised with the changes. My initial thoughts were "Wow, this sounds like an HD600 but, without some of the treble spikes!" Obviously that's a fairly simplistic description but, that's what my ears are telling me.
At the moment I am using my office setup PC>Eitr>Loki (bypassed)>Mimby>Magni3. I'll spend time this weekend listening from main system as well.
Thanks to @Marvey for the thread and thanks to @captkirk for the Dynamat offer. I'm going to go listen to the The Cars now.
Here's my effort, my first ever proper mod. The trickiest part is getting all the spider cage ends off.
Apart from that it's not too difficult, even for the inexperienced. I used the second skin headphone modding kit. I thought I needed one of those for each side, so bought 5 to make sure I had plenty. I used 1. I couldn't find self-adhesive foam in Sydney so super-glued the foam onto the damper.
It's worth noting for newbies, the damper is not that difficult to use. It's not as gooey as I expected and you can reposition it if needed.
I haven't had my 6XX very long, so not hugely experienced with their sound. I was expecting to plug them in and go meh, barely any different. But that bass! I also feel they sound more spacious, I guess that's because of improved speed and detail.
Such an amazing resource, thanks to @Marvey and all the others who posted pictures and tips in this thread.
Great pics. You may want to consider embedding smaller versions next time. I'm still waiting for them to download as I type this.
I wanted to post big pics because the other big pics were helpful to me. But maybe too big, I've made them a bit smaller.
As for getting the spider off cleanly, I remember just grabbing each "leg" with needle nose pliers and twisting back and forth until snapped off, pretty cleanly. Not even sure if I had to trim it off with a knife.
Glad you're enjoying the tighter bass!
Yeah that might be a better approach. I used wire cutters, which left a small piece that I either pulled off or cut with a blade.
The only thin, adhesive foam I could find locally came with glitter. Aesthetically, it turned out... better than expected.
I now have excess materials if anyone needs some (contributors, friends). I'm based in Asia but postage costs are trivial (I'll cover it, but it might take a week to get to a post office).
I can confirm this, needle nose pliers made getting the spider off very, very easy. Just a single twist detached each leg with no need to further trim.
If any Aussie folks are keen, I've got a couple of spare small sheets of the Second Skin dynamat stuff you can have if you pay postage or meet me in Sydney somewhere.
That looks positively fabulous.
Beautiful modding! I bet it sounds really sparkling compared to stock.
Separate names with a comma.