^ yup filed a claim with my insurance. Still need to talk with my agent on Monday to see what my policy covers. There's a section for personal property but it's not clear what's covered. @robot zombie dude no kidding, I have googled as much as I can looking if anyone has experienced a similar situation but nothing has turned up yet. Posted this half for sympathy but also to see if anyone with electrical knowledge might be able to explain what happened. I don't get why USB only either. You would think with carrying that much current down a USB line it would just fry the internal wiring before it ever reaches the output connector. I just assumed USB couldn't handle that much to be considered dangerous. Or like you said the possible unregulated power feeding the Yggdrasil may have something to do with the USB sparking like that. Maybe there's an elevated ground at the AC outlet? I have an receptacle outlet tester but the problem with that is it doesn't check how much current its carrying.