Discussion in 'Eddie Current' started by Negura, Oct 17, 2015.
We also wanna see the naked PSU...thx
You'll have to remove a bit of foam in the PSU, so it'll give you a good reason to take some pics.
I'll be posting photos when the delivery man drives up,
my tent windows are facing the driveway and the front door.
Just had a 'fake out'; FedEx pulled into the driveway - but instead of Studio, they had an overnight letter for my daughter that I wasn't expecting. :-|
Please tell me you tortured the Fedex driver until he gave you the location of your package.
Nothing a car battery and a couple of cables can't solve.
It was tempting. The driver certainly got the 'evil eye'.
the Studio shipment has been intercepted!
@MisterRogers left the house to go to the liquo... um grocery store, and the FedEx driver pulled up 3 minutes later!
after signing quickly for the shipment, am now on the run having left the front lawn tent behind.
looks like a bit of damage, but hope the internal amp is ok.
a 48min unboxing video will be on YouTube shortly.
Damn - look away for just a second...
I was about to tell you that my U7 was yours, if you want it.
Damn, what the hell did they do to that box?!
why would I want your U7 when I have your Studio?
I think you'll find the one you have a bit too 'airy', lacking in impact. That might be one reason
Jexby can take the Studio, I can take the U7, sell my S7, and MisterRogers can use the TIII.
With friends like you guys...
Took delivery of a Gumpy yesterday. I was excited for it because a) see how it stood up to Yggdrasil, and b) Gungnir Multibit was used for testing Studios, and their was reason to hope the distortion didn't manifest with Gumpy (output rms was lower than Yggdrasil). On b, I found that for most of my music, I didn't hear any distortion. But with certain 'hot' recordings, I did. So back in went the Shure in-line attenuators. I got the adjustable ones, so -15db of attenuation (balanced), and no distortion.
BTW, while SE out to Studio seems less 'distorty', it still does, with both DAC's (Yggdrasil & Gungnir Multibit), on certain 'hot' recordings.
I'm trusting Marv / Craig will figure it out and fix it.
To end on a more positive note, I really do like the slightly warmer tonality of Gungnir Multibit, and with the in-line attenuators in, Studio combined with either Yggdrasil or Gungnir Multibit is by far the closest I've ever come to hearing the perfect amp.
Hmmm... at this point send it back to Calabasas?
Yup, getting close I think.
Okay, so I've held out reporting in about my experience with my Studio since I picked it up last week from Craig. Still not ready to give any sort of conclusion or even impressions at this point but I wanted to concur with MisterRogers that my experience with the Yggdrasil + Studio has been much of the same. I'm not sure how much of his library exhibits the distortion but I know that some of mine does (about 15%) especially some of my more modern, "hotter" tracks. I've followed suit ordering a pair of in-line attentuators, although mine are only -10db. Unfortunately I'm still having some issue. The only makeshift solution that seems to work is turning down the gain software side.
I want to be clear in saying that I've only had problems with my two Yggdrasil DACs. From my VPI Classic 3 or my two CD players (mainly Emotiva ERC-3) there have been no issues. I remember reading that DrFindley's reports were that he was having no such issues, so I'm not sure what's going on. Could it be the pot upgrade?
That has we wondering too; it really seems to be a contributor. That our P&G pots are 15K vs. the Alps that are 100K... I'm sure they'll figure it out. yea, -10db wouldn't be enough. -15db with Yggdrasil was good with ALMOST all my music. -20db did the trick with Yggdrasil.
We ran a few tests, looked at the data, and have come to the conclusion that the issue is related the Studio grade Cinemag CMLI600. Here is what we know:
Some (not all) individual units of the Schiit Yggdrasil and Gungnir MB DACs are having problems driving the CMLI600. The input Z is nominal 600 ohms (probably a little bit less than that at approximately 550 ohms.) DCR I believe was significantly lower than that, but I forgot the exact number (I will find out later.) 600:600 line transformers are used in the studio world, and Craig coming from making gear for that environment, chose those for that reason. The point is that these transformers are hard to drive. They expect studio grade gear with a LOT of juice.
We have one Yggdrasil in our possession which has a known issue with the CMLI600. When we used the "consumer" CMLI15/15 which has 15k input impedance, there was no issue with this Yggdrasil. The CMLI15/15 is the one used in the BA. This may be an option or even standard equipment going forward. Note that the Jensen ISOMAX type boxes use similar type of transformers with higher input impedance with a step-down.
The "hot" output of the Yggdrasil is not causing the issue. The CMLI600 take can 18dBu which is 6.15V peak to peak. Yggdrasil and Gungnir MB / DS output 4Vrms. We have no zero with Gungnir DS.
During development of the Studio, we used a Yggdrasil (different from the current with with the issue) and Gungnir DS with no known issues with the CMLI600. We didn't foresee this being an issue.
I want to be clear that this is no one's fault and no one's gear is defective. It's just a bad match between components. We'll figure out a remedy to the situation for existing customers and those on the list. We have had no issues with any other DAC's balanced outputs.
Separate names with a comma.