Discussion in 'The Meeting Place' started by purr1n, Aug 28, 2016.
Requesting OJ to do a youtube review of the Utopias as well!
Yes guys! I finally found something which might just be the(cheaper) magic bullet to Computer USB issues?!
Network Media Player with AES output:
Doens't support super high res(24/96 max) or flac though:
At first I was going to agree, but then I misread due to the order. I actually thought it was the reverse of what you wrote, that the 1.03 was smoother, and the 1.10 had more detail. Let me see if I can reverse one and see. But i distinctly recall what you wrote, but the opposite of it when I did it. I remember as i disliked the Mutec 3+USB initially.
Come to think of it, I was listening to 1.02 then 1.10, and don't recall having heard 1.03 at all.
Again - old dude here, with gimpy hearing running a 'pimped' Mutec 3+USB, but I perceived V1.10 sonics as an improvement. I may downgrade for laughs, try to validate some day. Either way, the sonic changes seemed very subtle to me.
just to confirm, my Mutec has v1.10 firmware and was in effect at the meet
But hard to say with @MisterRogers's magic LPS feeding it.
SEPTEMBER 3 2016 SHERMAN OAKES MINI MEET IMPRESSIONS
So yeah, HD800 is mid-fi now. Utopia FTW.
Thanks for reading.
atleast you said you were willing to eat your words.
Bloody hell. Why 4K why?!
Well in 12 months the HE-1000 has lost around 40% of its market value. I'm going to wait 2 years for the Utopia
For realz tho:
I did confirm that Utopia is more resolving in the mids than HD800. More refined. Just better
We can go back on forth about resolution question, I think you might say the HD800 still has more low level resolution (i.e. plankton) but i feel the Utopia is more resolving everywhere else
No, I don't find it shouty
the BIGGEST drawback of Utopia is the staging is not as good as HD800. More left/right and behind the ear, doesn't project forward like the HD800 layering I'd say is just as good
separation is hard for me to describe, you can decide what that term means exactly [but I definitely don't feel things sound congested or hectic unless that's how you respond to that sort of staging]
of course Marv is actually of the opinion that the left/right headphone staging is more akin to speakers and therefore betterer so it doesn't seem to bother him, but I hear it as a drawback
bass impact and dynamics are cleaner. I have no idea what Bill is hearing TBH
FWIW, Marv's system does sound on the thinner side
Hard to say if the better distortion correspond to better midrange resolution, but I would be inclined to believe that if the measurements show it
My meet impressions go as follow:
- HD800S on Marv's rig: wow, finally a rig I can listen to this headphone on. No longer too congested.
- Everything on RLKM0007's rig: goddamn, is that the transport making music or the DAC?? Because it can't be the amp! This is pretty freaking awesome!
- Cold Gungnir Multibit is still horribad. Need a few hours of on time.
- SR-009 on SRD-7: whoa, was the SRD-7 always that good sounding? I gotta try to mod mine to Pro bias now...
- Schiit's mystery items: please please please release these faster!
- Andromeda: on iPhone, there's a bit of harsh/peakiness to it that isn't necessarily that bad, but it sounded a bit force. I've heard this goes away with a better source. But oveall, I really liked the tonality.
- Utopia: eh... on the wrong rig, too shouty, borderline on unlistenable to me. On other rigs, it has a thin sound overall. I need to hear it on my own rig to really know... but for now, I'm 50/50 on it. Tonality is pretty close to my HD580, but the shoutiness quite bothers me. Certain instruments and vocals kill me, and it isn't even because of sibilance.
Okay, now that the gears are out of the way, people were AWESOME! Loved being there with you guys! We should do this more often!
And in 2 years there will be a new messiah headphone at $6k.
well, there might be a new messiah headphone in 2 years -- because progress -- but i'm optimistic and hope that prices reflect inflation and not exponentially increasing prices! that said, wasn't focal going to release some $6k headphone as well? probably i shouldn't be so optimistic in my views for the future
$6k is too little. I think $8k is better.
It's not a true TOTL headphone unless you have to sell a kidney on the black market to afford it.
yeah, surgery scars are a real badge of honor. sacrifice, that's what we want to see.
I share this opinion. I think the soundstage of the HD800 sounds fake-isa.
Can you really call it a TOTL headphone if it's not at least a 5-digit price? With at $5k cable add-on?
4k is only 8 EpiPens.
Anyone heard Utopia with BW? If there was a BW at the meet that is.
Separate names with a comma.